Here are a few blogs from current teachers. They range in grade level, experience and location, but they all share great insights and ideas.
http://teachyoualesson.blogspot.com/
This is the blog of a third year middle school teacher, living in New York City. She is part of the New York City Teaching Fellowship, where people work as public school teachers while working to get their masters in education and teaching credentials. Her blog is a mixture of witty anecdotes from her classroom and thoughtful reflection on her impact as a teacher. There are a variety of interesting posts about her goals as a teacher, continuing education and even book recommendations. A really fun blog, with a casual style (maybe a couple curse words), that I definitely bookmarked.
http://www.newteachernews.com/blog/blog.php
A 2nd grade teacher outlines her first year in the classroom over several blog posts. I really like her honest tone, reflecting on her missteps and celebrating her successes. Her blog is really relatable – for example, she says that in the first few weeks she felt a little like a cross between a game show host and a broken record player J. I especially like how you can feel her love of teaching and see how she evolves as a teacher throughout the year. This blog is part of a larger website dedicated to all things about first year teachers, including some interesting articles and advice.
http://www.cityteacher.net/
I found a few useful teaching ideas on the first couple pages of this blog alone. This blog is written by a second grade teacher in Los Angeles who has been teaching for seven years. She has blog entries on thinking maps, using manipulatives in math, and ways to set up the classroom (just to name a few). A big focus of her blog is how to best teach students in the inner city environment, which I find interesting because it is something I am unfamiliar with.
Monday, November 24, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Katelyn!
I really liked this blog that we had to do! It was fun to see perspectives of other teachers. I feel like the career we are about to enter does have many challenges, so to see what others have done helps support our efforts. It is also comforting that we aren't alone in facing this difficulties or celebrations of our classrooms. Forming these networks, whether it's in our school or through blogs, is important in making our classrooms more successful. (They can have more than one teacher!) Thank you for sharing these blogs!
Teresa
Hey Katelyn! While I was reading your blog, I really liked the part where you mentioned a teacher's blog about using manipulative's for math. It really takes me back to Edna and Janet's classes and how effective this style of teaching really is. I'm glad there are more and more teachers out there using these methods!
Katelyn.
I loved the new teacher news blog! It is full of fun ideas and easy to relate to. I also appreciate how the author reflects so much. Reading reflections from someone in our position (soon to be) is very reassuring and exciting. It is very comforting how the teacher mentions a lot of stuff we have learned in Woodring, making me feel more confident to what the future holds. What a great find on your part! I will definately look at this blog again.
Post a Comment